If you would like to backup your site content just in case something goes wrong and you lose your site or you would like to transfer your site to another WordPress (like http://wordpress.com) after you graduate you will need to first export your site as a downloadable file then create a new site and import that file there to restore content.
I. Exporting your site
- Go to the Dashboard of your site and click on Tools on the left-hand side then select Export from the Tools menu:
- In Export Settings window first select All content then click on Download Export File button:
- The file will automatically be downloaded to your computer.
II. Import Your Site Back into WordPress
- Create a new WordPress site. The tutorial on How to her: (http://web5.lib.pacificu.edu/start-here/).
- Go to the Dashboard of the new site then click on Tools then select Import option from the Tools menu:
- In the Import Settings window, scroll all the way down until you see WordPress then select Run Importer link:
- In the Importer Settings window click on Choose File button, find your exported file on your computer then click Upload File and Import button:
- The content of the site you exported will be loaded into your new site.